The “Empty Seat” Program offers a variety of services permitted under section 298 of the Act. There are 3 types of scenarios that are possible:
- Empty seat – ‘courtesy’ service: The courtesy service is provided, if available, to students residing within the distances established under section 4.1 who would not normally be eligible for daily transportation (morning and afternoon);
- Empty seat – ‘accommodation’ service: The accommodation service is provided, if available to students residing outside the transportation zones as established by the Board under the Plan and who would not normally be eligible for daily transportation (morning and afternoon);
- Empty seat – ‘alternative address’ service: The alternative address service is provided, if available, to students requiring transportation to and from an address other than their residence.
- The “Empty Seat” Program service should not incur additional cost to the Board.
- These services may be reduced or canceled at any time if the number of eligible students on a given bus route increases and no more seats are available.
- The cost for “Empty Seat” Program services is established by the Board. Each year, parents must apply for these services by completing the prescribed form and forwarding the established payment. The Board sets the procedure and collects the fee.
- The school will assist the Transportation Service in establishing the use of the school bus and its available “empty seats”.